Sunday, December 16, 2012

Chanukah!

Can you believe that Chanukah came and is gone already?

Well, I can't. This year not only I made a party, but I actually made real yeast dough sufganiot, thanks to my sister-in-law's mother's recipe.
Tetya Galya, this one is for you:

They were not hard to make at all. Or, was it because I wanted to put my heart in them?
Anyway, here is the recipe for you:
1 tblspoon dry yeast
3/4 cup warm milk (or water)
4 tblspoon sugar (I use raw)
1 tspoon cinnamon
dash of salt
2 egg yolks
2.5 cups flour
2-3 tbspoons melted butter

First, combine yeast, warm milk and half sugar in a bowl and let stand for about
15 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, but butter and mix the dough until soft ball forms.
Add melted butter so that it nicely covers the dough.
Cover the dough with a towel and let it rest overnight.
I made it on Friday afternoon and started making donuts motzei Shabbat. Was a bit worried, but they turned out great!

Next day, roll the dough out and cut in rounds. Put jam on each round and cover with the other dough round. Pinch the dough pieces together and brush with the egg white left from the egg yolks you used to make the dough.

Fry in hot oil and enjoy your delicious desert! Sprinkle it with powdered sugar, if desired


No comments:

Post a Comment